Canon PowerShot Pro1 review

Started May 27, 2005 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Bruce W Roeser New Member • Posts: 9
Canon PowerShot Pro1 review

I purchased the Power Shot Pro1 a few days ago after giving the EOS Rebel XT a try first. The XT is a fine camera but I was running into dust problems with the viewfinder within the first few days using it - even though I didn't change the lens at all. Realizing that this was a problem that I always had with SLR's in the past I chose to return it and look for another solution. I am a relatively serious amateur but, at the same time, I'm not so serious that I have to have several different lenses. What I was really looking for is a unit that gives me through-the-lens precision and enough range and flexibility to control my shots well. High resolution was also on my wish-list.

I discovered the PowerShot Pro and read the full review here on it - and decided that it would be just what I need. Plenty of capability, 7x zoom, 8MegaPixel and all the rest.

It was only after I actually received the unit that I realized how slick it is. Not only is this unit built better than the XT was (it's made of titanium-alloy with *some* plastic) but it's a good bit smaller and is just -- well, in a word, complete. For the type of miscellaneous photography I do this unit has it all. If I want to just do "point-and-shoot" just stick it on "P" or "Auto". If I want complete control I can do that, too. Macro? Built in. Short video? Built in. What's not to like?

After taking a round of test shots with the unit I noticed that the quality of the images produced is OUTSTANDING. I would even go as far as saying that it produces better images than the XT does!

Even better - this unit was several hundred dollars cheaper than the EOS XT ... so I think this is the one I'm going to go with.

Problems:

Initially I found the auto-focus to be slow (as mentioned in the review) - particularly in low-light situations. HOWEVER - I learned that there was a firmware update that was supposed to address this issue. Sure enough - updating the firmware was a snap - and "snap" is now what the auto-focus does. So now I have NO problems.

Canon PowerShot Pro1
8 megapixels • 2 screen • 28 – 200 mm (7.1×)
Announced: Feb 9, 2004
Bruce W Roeser's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow