Ricoh Caplio GX8 review

Started Aug 12, 2005 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
yalazy
yalazy Junior Member • Posts: 37
Ricoh Caplio GX8 review

The camera is well built with a nice rugged surface and a grip wich makes it easy to hold steady. It is still very compact and pocketable. The inclusion of a hotshoe is a big advantage.

The camera handles very well. Menus are minimal, simple and fast to use. Most common adjustments, in a separate adjustment button. You can add one of your own settings to that button. Aperture priority setting with three apertures available. The camera is fast to work with using aperture priority and exposure compensation.

The camera (with the right batteries, avoid alkaline) is very fast to turn on, has no noticeable shutterlag, and despite what some reviews say, works fast even with flash turned on.

Image quality is very good when you expose well. It is a small sensor compact camera, so I see some blown highlights and noise gets to be an issue already at lower ISOs. I am used to my Canon 20D, so it is a bit frustrating to see the results at ISO 200. Generally I only use it at ISO 64 and 100. The built in flash works pretty good at close distance. Much better than I had expected, and better than some other digicams that I've tried. Colours are very nice and natural in the neutral setting, much better than my Canons actually. The lens can produce very sharp pictures, and the macro function is fantastic with a 1cm focusing distance at 28mm!

The negative things are the noise at higher ISOs and some vignetting at 28mm. But those things don't bother me much, and shouldn't deter one who wants a good pocket camera that feels good and handles well. The opportunity to use external flash also makes it possible to use it as a party camera at low ISO.

Another thing I come to think of is that it doesn't have RAW as an option. That could have been useful in some situations. It does have TIFF, but the files get very large and slows the camera down so I rarely use it.

Having 28mm at the wide end is great! I find it much more useful in a pocket camera with wideangle than a long (shaky) zoom.

Problems:

I got the camera with only two AA alkaline batteries, they lasted only about 20 shots! Get some rechargable batteries with it. I got two non-brand Li-Ion 1400mAh for 45 EUR and they each last for several hundred shots. AA Nimh should also work fine.

yalazy's gear list:yalazy's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Ricoh Caplio GX8
8 megapixels • 1.8 screen • 28 – 85 mm (3×)
Announced: Apr 26, 2005
yalazy's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow