Ricoh Caplio GX8 review
I bought this camera via internet and my decision to buy it was completely based on the specifications and features. It's probably the first compact 8mp camera in the market with SD card storage.
Now after few weeks of intense use i could say that i'm still have controversial feelings towards this device.
It's definetely very comfortable to use, full manual control, easy to handle, natural colors. It's design looks a bit old stylish and people get surprised that it is a 8mp camera, and this is an advantage for me, cause i dont like to draw attention with high end toys.
During summer trip i've made over 400 pictures and some of them are below my expectations. There are my main problems:
1) images are too dark (levels diagram in PS reflects that. But i haven't try to print them yet, it might be that its ok for printing);
2) images sometimes looks like out of focus (kind of hit-and-miss autofocus. and this is not a hand shake because in some cases i used tripod);
3) noticible noise level in dark areas even in low iso (but images at night with long exposure look quite good; there is quite effective noise reduction system in the camera);
4) image distortion at the borders (buildings in a street look like collpasing... but this is minor, this is what i'm expected from wide angle lenses...);
5) software provided with camera is something hard to describe... Ugly user interface. Unfortunately it is the only way to convert camera uncompressed TIFF into BMP for work in PS. PS do not reads camera TIFF;
6) no rechargable battery in a box (but one for Pentax is compatible, so this is resolved).
|In the Big Girl Chair by BryanKing|
from Baby Photography
|Ruby Red Dress by cjf2|
from High key portrait with RED
|Follow me home by eaa|
from Shades of Blue in Nature