Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z10 review
Fantastic value for the money (especially now)
1. Accurate and vibrant color
2. Lots of features, the d-pad used for shutter speed/aperture easily under thumb and are easily accessed without looking at them - it's a photographer's camera
3. Really fast startup, and everything is self contained so lens doesn't extend from body - this helps the startup time
4. good zoom range, a little tight at the wide end though (as most P&S digicams are)
5. Really good flash metering, even in macro Speaking of macro...
6. WONDERFUL macro - for "macro shots on the fly" it works great - really really sharp.
7. Low noise: nonexistent at ISO 64-100 (as it should be), more than acceptable at ISO 400 - nearly invisible even in 5x7 prints
8. surprisingly sharp images handheld at slow shutter speeds, considering it doesn't have IS! I think this has to do with ergonomics. It's easy to hold the camera steady.
9. even for 3MP the images enlarge really, really well
10. Quick AF and good low light AF
11. uses AA batteries and has really long battery life
12. Live histogram when shooting
It's not all perfect, some of the normal functions are buried under menus, like White balance, ISO, Focusing modes. However, you can customize the flash button to access one these modes instantly.
The switch finder works fine, but the screen is small and lacks resolution - the eye-level "EVF" is actually a mirror and shows some ghosting in the viewfinder from the mirror. It's good for general composition but not for fine detail at all. You can zoom in during playback, but it makes manual focus tough.
Sometimes when using multi-point AF, the exposures can be really really off. But, you see that in your viewfinder. However it requires recomposing and sometimes a few times. It's not a big problem most of the time but can throw off "grab" shots once in a while.
Just 3 aperture settings. I tend to shoot in Aperture Priority mode on SLRs so this lack of fine control puts me off, but in the end given there isn't a big change in DOF between F3.2 and F8 with this small sensor - I think the issue is mostly in my head.
SD card plugs into the side and isn't covered by a door. Not a big deal to me, but if it rides in a pocket it could attract lint/dust.
Even at 3MP 16MB card supplied isn't enough.
I would have liked some external flash connection only because the pictures are good enough that an external flash could be used, but I understand the camera was built to a price point.
|Dalmatian pelican by Avocet17|
from A big year - birds 2018
|Soup by Coolinarka|
|Off Piste Skiing - rest time by munte|
from Warren miller
|Snowflake by Tigor|
|Flame On! by 6bender|
from - Flowers on Black -