Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom review

Started Oct 23, 2005 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
doady Senior Member • Posts: 1,798
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom review

I like this camera a lot. Havng owned the C-5060WZ previously, I can say the ergonomics are slightly improved thanks to slightly larger handgrip. Also, the LCD is easier to see when I am outside than with the C-5060 but can still be a problem when the sun is extremely bright and shines directly on the LCD.

The write speed also considerably faster on the C-7070WZ, but the write times end up only being slightly less because the actual files are larger. For a RAW file, it takes 6 seconds for the camera to write, compared to 8 seconds on the C-5060WZ. This is good because I like to use RAW in high contrast scenes and I want to preserve highlight detail, so the wait times are slightly less annoying now.

Oddly enough, Olympus does not include a remote with the C-7070, though they did for the C-5060. As usual they do not include a full manual, and the manual that is included is even more useless than for the C-5060, which I did not think was possible.

But overall the C-7070 is the same as C-5060: same sturdy all-metal body, same wide-angle lens, same great external controls that allow to change settings without going into the menu. My favorite feature is the live histogram that is displayed when you press the exposure compensation button. This is a very intuitve design and very helpful for a beginner at photography like myself to expose images properly.

Of course, the C-7070 also retains the downsides of the C-5060: the inaccurate optical viewfinder, slow autofocus in low-light, purple fringing and flare.

Recently, I just got the Olympus WCON-07C 0.7x wide angle converter and CLA-7 lens adapter that were designed specifically for this camera, which brings the focal length of the C-7070 down to 19mm. Overall, I am very pleased with this accessory, but it is very large and it does increase barrel distortion slightly. The rear lens cap is very bad: it fits onto the lens very poorly and I am afraid that I will lose it. The front lens cap is nice though and attaching/detaching the lens is a very easy process. This lens is available at bargain prices now and I think it is worth getting.

doady's gear list:doady's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Phase One Capture One Pro
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom
7 megapixels • 1.8 screen • 27 – 110 mm (4.1×)
Announced: Jan 5, 2005
doady's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow