Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom review

Started Dec 27, 2005 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
CRSTOREY New Member • Posts: 2
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom review

Over all a great little camera with many big camera features. The WB predefined WB settings are very good and cover almost the entire range of lighting conditions where I typically shoot. The auto WB is very, very good for the majority of my needs. However, higher ASA equivalent settings are prone to higher digital noise when making night time exposures. While I cant really call this a problem, I have noted that auto focus is very slow in very dim to dark conditions, even with the focus assist light. The long focusing delay has caused me to miss many shots in dim lighting as a result. The built-in flash is fairly good for most casual shooting and for use as a fill flash. For more serious I recommend using an external, higher powered flash unit. While the mating flash bracket is small and convenient, I personally prefer using a larger flash bracket (I prefer the Stroboframe line of brackets) as this keeps the flash centered over the lens when holding the camera either way (portrait or landscape) and allows me to position the flash high enough to eliminate nearly all of the resulting flash shadows. As much as I like this camera, I will probably be upgrading to a full featured DSLR as it will allow more seamless integration with my normal 35mm and medium format equipment.

Problems:

The only problem I have experienced is the same as what several others have reported with the camera behaving erratically (i.e., menu items appearing and cycling, focus light activating for no reason, function buttons not responding or activating the wrong function, and etc.). My first camera experienced this problem right out of the box and the replacement camera began to exhibit the same problem approximately 1 year later.

Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom
5 megapixels • 1.8 screen • 27 – 110 mm (4.1×)
Announced: Sep 29, 2003
CRSTOREY's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow