Ricoh GR Digital review

Started Apr 24, 2006 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Geoffrey Kitt Contributing Member • Posts: 762
Ricoh GR Digital review

The GR Digital was bought as a "carry around" camera, replacing a Canon Pro 1 which was too big to take everywhere, and which I never really liked for a variety of reasons. It has met or exceeded pretty well all of my expectations. Although light in weight it seems pretty robust, easily pocketable and has a simple and very easy to use system of contols and menus. The 2.5 inch screen is a big plus but isn't bright enough to allow easy composition in direct sunlight. The optional viewfinder is pretty much essential in these circumstances. I've been very pleased with the image quality though I have experienced blown highlights in situations where the camera is trying to deal with a wide dynamic range. Start up time is commendably quick and there is no discernable shutter lag. The degree of control you have over the picture taking process is quite exceptional for a camera of this size. Coupled with the excellent handling you quickly find yourself able to concentrate on the image rather than struggling to get the camera to do what you want.

Problems:

A few dislikes :

- flimsy battery compartment and USB connection covers
- expensive accessories which seem much more cheaply made than the camera - particularly the remote control and the lens adapter. The viewfinder seems better made however (and at that price it should be!)
- the battery does not latch in place and can easily fall out when you are inserting or removing a memory card
- the included software seems rather primitive
- occasional focus problems in macro mode

I should emphasise that these are all minor issues (except perhaps for the focus problem) and overall I'm very impressed by the GR Digital.

Geoffrey Kitt's gear list:Geoffrey Kitt's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 V Leica M9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +1 more
Ricoh GR Digital
8 megapixels • 2.5 screen • 28 mm
Announced: Sep 13, 2005
Geoffrey Kitt's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow