Nikon D40X review

Started May 30, 2007 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Arun Jain New Member • Posts: 19
Nikon D40X review

Having just bought the Canon A640 and terribly disappointed by it, I was relieved to lay my hands on this beauty and shoot the first 100 pics. I don't know why anyone would want to take pics with a point and shoot!

The pics from this camera are absolutely amazing outdoors. I have not had a chance to test it indoors. This is my first DSLR ever and so I don't mind the lack of backward compatibility in lenses with this body.

I have been a lifelong Canon fan, but after my recent disappointment with the A640, I think I have changed camps for the time being. Phil's comment on this camera feeling "punchy" and "ever ready which encourages you to take more shots" is spot on. I notice myself taking at least 5 times as many shots in the same period of time that I would take with my Canon A640, because it so responsive and fast. And that means more quality photos.

Problems:

Would have been nice to have a separate button for white balance and/or ISO. Also, I don't know how much dust reduction systems make an impact in the long run, but that's another feature the Canon Rebel XTi has that I feel lacking on this Nikon. Don't care much for the vertical grip.

The kit lens is great for taking close ups and portraits and average for wide angle.

Nikon D40X
10 megapixels • 2.5 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Mar 6, 2007
Arun Jain's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow