Canon PowerShot SD700 IS (Digital IXUS 800 IS / IXY Digital 800 IS) review

Started Aug 6, 2007 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
loveyourjams New Member • Posts: 6
Canon PowerShot SD700 IS (Digital IXUS 800 IS / IXY Digital 800 IS) review

I've had this camera for a year and 2 months.
I own a Pentax Optio 555 & it was at that time (in 2003) a pocket rocket. The IXUS 800 IS takes that crown now. I no longer use the Pentax after the IXUS came along.
The IXUS 800IS is an excellent camera all round! It features 1st-class exposure, focus and sharpness with low noise up to ISO 400 in the Image Quality front, with fast performance, real pocketability, solid construction, useable optical image stabiliser, widest focal length at 36mm, 4x optical zoom, a top-notch built-in flash and a high resolution 2.5-inch LCD to boot. O, did I mention that it took decent videos too, has a sexy design and enables one to view pictures right-side up with its auto rotate feature? I've taken easily more than 2,000 photos plus more than 10 video clips with this camera. I've even taken it with me as my only equipment on holidays instead of bulkier stuff. I've had no regrets with the quality of its pictures and ease of use! One gets the sense when using this camera that it is something really special, as if the company had poured everything it knew and the best materials possible into the design and development of the product. It will pass into history as an iconic camera!

Problems:

I've not given full marks for construction because my camera has developed a vertical line on its LCD that is visible when the camera is powered off. This happened about 6 months after I bought it & is probably due to pressure on the camera when I sat down with it in its pouch on my waist belt. It does not affect the picture viewed on the LCD and neither does it affect IQ. It scored lower in features in not having a battery-life indicator until the battery is nearing the end of its life, the battery life is average (though not bad) & the inability to adjust aperture or shutter speed. I have also scored image quality at less than perfect beacause there are some minor artefacts seen at 100% enlargements or higher, images at max telephoto are a touch soft plus its tendency to produce red eyes in indoor shots with the flash. It also scored less than perfect for ease of use because its body is too SMOOTH all around except for a slight grip offered by the embossed words where the fingers of the right hand grip the camera. It was so smooth that I almost dropped the camera when carrying it but managed to hang on to it via the strap. That said, I like the small size of the camera for its ease in carrying about everywhere I go. It's unobstrusive in my waist pouch and I almost don't realise it's there. Yet, when I need to use it, I can whip it out and start it up quickly. It did lower on value for money because when I bought it, it was expensive. The price is lower now if it is still in production. For being one of the first to own the camera, I paid a premium for it. Yes, it is a premium camera, but its price then was an extra premium on top. I've gritted my teeth in paying the price and emerged satisfied overall.

Canon PowerShot SD700 IS (Digital IXUS 800 IS / IXY Digital 800 IS)
6 megapixels • 2.5 screen • 35 – 140 mm (4×)
Announced: Feb 21, 2006
loveyourjams's score
Average community score
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow