Olympus E-3 review

Started Nov 23, 2007 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
s1rf4n
s1rf4n New Member • Posts: 6
Olympus E-3 review

I have been using this camera for over a month now. I have been using Olympus 4/3 cameras for more then a year.

The live MOS unit is new and improved over the 410/510 cameras. Yes it is the same size but it is not the same unit.

Side by side comparisons using the 150mm, 35-100mm, 50-200mm and the 12-60mm show the overall picture quality and detail seams far more improved over the e510. It seems there have been some fine tuning to the noise filter.

Auto Focus Speed is amazing with the 12-60mm.
IS system really works well (you can really see it in live view mode).

ISO testing on a good tripod supprisingly good results to 1600ISO. I took photos at a Christmas show my little girl was in and was amazed with the results. I was at the back of the auditorium freehanding shots at a 800 setting using a very heavy 35-100 F2. lens. Lens was fast enough I did not need a tripod. Love that IS.

Read and write speeds are amazing with Extreme IV card.

Construction is on par with the best of them.

View through the GLASS poro prizim is a treat. You get a full 100% view that is large and crisp unlike the 410 and 510.
HLD-4 battery holder does its job well. I love the extra hand grip space that comes in very hand with the larger lens's. I was supprised that it was made of plastic.

I am very happy with this camera.

I sold my e500 and will be selling my e410.

I will keep my e510 as a travler and back up because of the IS system and battery will interchange with the e3.

Problems:

Twice the weight of the e410 although I believe it is warranted.

s1rf4n's gear list:s1rf4n's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F Pentax K-1 Olympus E-M1 II +10 more
Olympus E-3
10 megapixels • 2.5 screen • Four Thirds sensor
Announced: Oct 16, 2007
s1rf4n's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow