Olympus C-740 UZ review
(I have had this camera for 4.5 years, and just upgraded to a Pentax K10D digital SLR.)
The Olympus C-740 UZ was a great first digital camera (thanks, Grandma :-). But it's hampered by the fact that it has one GREAT feature (a 10X zoom) without much else to back it up.
The zoom is great, but the autofocus is way too slow to use it for action or wildlife shots at a distance. The shutter lag is pretty bad even with focus locked in. The flash is weak, but the white balance invariably comes out wrong without it. The various shooting modes are useful, and the manual mode is very good for a non-SLR camera. The movie mode only takes really short clips, and no sound (!!!) so it's pretty much useless.
Well, this camera is pretty much off the market by now... but I wouldn't recommend buying it used even. You can get a lighter, faster, modern camera with a 7-10X zoom these days.
* The LCD screen cracked. Unlike with most newer/larger cameras, there was no protective hard plastic cover over it. Fortunately, the electronic viewfinder screen is an *exact* duplicate of the main LCD, so this hasn't affected my ability to use the camera.
* Olympus has stuck with stupid xD cards, while everyone else now uses SD. xD cards are way more expensive, harder to find, and slower. Really annoying.
* If you forget and leave the camera on, it drains the batteries even though it claims to have auto shutoff.
- Fujifilm X-T223.6%
- Nikon D50025.4%
- Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E8.2%
- Olympus M.Zuiko 12-100mm F47.5%
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-G857.2%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art6.7%
- Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 Art5.1%
- Sony a63006.4%
- Sony Cyber-shot RX10 III3.7%
- Sony Cyber-shot RX100 V6.3%
|Lighthouse, Bottom of the World by CelticOdyssey|
from An A to Z of Subjects- Week 12, L
|Dundrum by Rik Powdrill|