Canon PowerShot S3 IS review

Started Apr 8, 2008 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Pascal S New Member • Posts: 5
Canon PowerShot S3 IS review

I chose this camera over the more recent S5 because I thought it offered me a better overall package for what I expect. Battery life, easy access to the memory card, even on a tripod, and fast burst mode were the main elements which decided me to get a used S3 rather than a brand new S5. Add to that the fact that I didn't see any point in getting 2 extra megapixels, and you may understand why the S3 ends up being a better buy as far as I am concerned.

The compatibility of this camera with the CHDK hack is a big bonus too. Thanks to its added features, I can shoot in RAW mode, admittedly a glaring omission from Canon for this model and its successor. As far as image quality goes, the pictures are a bit on the soft side, and any shot taken over ISO 200 is barely usable, but that's no surprise given the small size of the sensor. But the ease of use, the vari-angle LCD screen and the powerful zoom lens more than make up for these small limitations. The S3 is a FUN camera to take pictures with, and ultimately that's what counts.

In the end, as long as you don't expect DSLR quality from your shots, this is a very fine camera for many occasions. And did I mention it was FUN to use?

Problems:

None so far.

Pascal S's gear list:Pascal S's gear list
Canon PowerShot A80 Canon PowerShot A95 Canon PowerShot SX20 IS
Canon PowerShot S3 IS
6 megapixels • 2 screen • 36 – 432 mm (12×)
Announced: Feb 21, 2006
Pascal S's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow