Nikon Coolpix P80 review

Started Jun 2, 2008 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Michael McCulley
Michael McCulley New Member • Posts: 7
Nikon Coolpix P80 review

Problem with the P-80. I purchased the P50 several days ago, for two primary reasons. 1] I am an old Nikon F fan and 2] I wanted a digital 'super zoom' that was able to do video clips with zoom, with sound and VR. As expected the Nikon performed very well in all categories, EXCEPT in video mode. My previous/current 'super zoom' is a 4+ yr old Fuji S-602 and has no VR or use of zoom during video recording. The Fuji's video records excellent video quality clips [superior resolution to many dedicated consumer video only cameras]so my expectations for the Nikon [after all it is a Nikon and the Fuji is not] were quite high. . . I am totally 'depressed' with the Nikon's video quality and capabilities. The fact that the new Nikon P-80 is not up to the capability of a 4+ year old competition, Nikon should not have included the feature, wasting the 'purchase effort' of those who wish or need to utilize video in their puchase choice. . . Criticizing those who utilize video as well as 'still shots' in a single camera is not warrented. Other camera makes manage to provide quality video in their products. If Nikon is going to include a feature set, should it not be of the quality befitting the Nikon name?

More info dated 6-11-08

After returning the first P-80 to Beach Camera [really good customer service], I received a replacement several days ago. I was hoping there was a problem with this particular camera. The replacement has the same problems as the first. I did do some testing find out if there was any variable in its operation that could be causing the issue. The second camera DOES have the same problem. . . see notes below.

Problems:

The Nikon video clips do look to be poor qualilty at best. . . the auto focus and auto exposure seem to be hunting contantly and as a result the focus and exposures are 'not right' most of the time. The largest issue I discoverd was once the camera is put in Video mode, the camera starts emitting fairly loud clicking sounds prior to intitiating record and during the video being recorded. As a result, the audio records the clicking sound, which in most cases is louder than the sound one wants on the video. I susupect the clicking sound is a result of the 'hunting' for focus and distance. I am returning the camera today.

Click sound discovered: The click sound is generated when the 'full time' focusing option is choosen from the video menu. This menu is accessed by turning the 'program knob' to video and pressing the menu button. I believe there is a problem with the full time focusing operation in this camera and hope this info will be passed on to Nikon for a 'fix'.

Nikon Coolpix P80
10 megapixels • 2.7 screen • 27 – 486 mm (18×)
Announced: Apr 10, 2008
Michael McCulley's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow