Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 review

Started Jul 30, 2008 | User reviews thread
Flat view
ESONO New Member • Posts: 5
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 review

I have had this camera since it was released, and I am very satesfied with having a camera with the same 9:16 format as the standard today for TVs and PC monitors. I cannot understand why camera producers keep on producing 4:3 sensors. Most amateurs look at their photos on their PC or TV. Myself I take both photos and video clips with my LX2, and edit these together with a video editing software - adding music, texts, zoom/pan the still images, etc. and burn the result on a DVD with menu for viewing on our TV.
I have been waiting for the LX3 to get improved video quality, because unfortunately the LX2 only has 15fps video in 720x1280 format. Today I saw the LX3 anouncement, and I was very disappointed. They have replaced the 16:9 sensor with an "old fashioned" sensor and the allround wide to tele zoom lens with a wide zoom lens. The video has been improved to 24 fps. I cannot understand why Panasonic has changed the camera from an allround avanced amateur camera to a limited use professional camera. Allround users will not want a wide-zoom camera. The only solution is to carry a second camera, in which case we might as well use a heavy SLR.
I will keep and treasure my LX2 until someone can produce another good camera with 16:9 sensor.

The 1280x720 video clip has only 15fps. With 24-30fps it would have been the perfect camera to cover both still photo and "good enough" video for making good presentations on TV.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2
10 megapixels • 2.8 screen • 28 – 112 mm (4×)
Announced: Jul 19, 2006
ESONO's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow