Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS (Digital IXUS 80 IS) review

Started Aug 12, 2008 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
MonteCarlo67 Regular Member • Posts: 172
Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS (Digital IXUS 80 IS) review

Just like many of us I have a DSLR but needed a compact camera for easy carry. I have tried several over the last few months. Panasonic DMC-FX35, Casio EX-S10 and the Olympus 850 SW. All went back to the store. I know better than to expect the same qaulity that I get from my D300 on an ultra-compact. However, you still should not see grain or posterization at the base ISO. All of the cameras I just listed had these problems. To be fair, they were all fairly sharp with good exposure (the Panasonic also suffered from a very weak flash). So with all of this in mind I took a chance on the Canon SD1100 IS not really expecting much. Wow, was I surprised! This camera is great at it's base ISO. Even at ISO 200 it beats the Panasonic at it's base settings! Sharpness and exposure are great. Flash is stronger than I expected considering it is often mentioned in reviews as a weak spot. Very fast start up. Good shot to shot time. Great menu layout. IS works great. Just enough features for an ultra compact (however the ability to adjust the sharpness in all modes, not just one custom mode, would be nice). For 4x6, 5x7 or even for a 8x10 from time to time I would not hesitate to use this camea! It can be had for a little over $200. This is the first time in a long trime I have spent $200 and not felt like I was ripped off:-)

Problems:

None what so ever!

MonteCarlo67's gear list:MonteCarlo67's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +1 more
Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS (Digital IXUS 80 IS)
8 megapixels • 2.5 screen • 38 – 114 mm (3×)
Announced: Jan 24, 2008
MonteCarlo67's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow