Nikon Coolpix S620 review
I wanted a compact digital as I found I wasn't using my Olympus 7070 as much as I should. So much easier to have a little P&S in your pocket than have a larger camera slung around your neck.
Secondly, I plan on taking the camera on an extended vacation, so it had to be small.
A Wide-Angle was a must, as was some degree of control over the camera, specifically ISO, White Balance & Exposure Compensation.
Chose the S620 as it has the features I wanted at a good price point. Checked out the Fuji F200EXR, but I wasn't that impressed with the build quality - it seemed to clunky to my hands. The Panasonic's were pretty good, but the stories of excessive noise put me off somewhat.
- Good build quality
- Very compact
- Nice 2.7" LCD Screen
- ISO, Shutter & Aperture displayed when focusing
- Four AF Area modes including Manual & Face Priority
- Options for Metering, Continuous Shooting & Colors
- Sensible zoom lens (28-112mm), reasonably fast f2.7
- Well laid out intuitive controls
- Shutter lag not a problem
- Good image quality. Photos are sharp, acceptable noise
- "D-Lighting" edit works quite well in playback mode
- Considering file size of 12M photos camera records files quickly enough. Note: I bought a Patriot 8GB Class 6 SDHC card.
- Ability to record images at 12, 8, 5, 3MP resolutions
- Annoyingly limited to 4:3 Aspect Ratio at all image resolutions except one
- No HD Movie capability
- No Full PASM control
None to speak of yet!
Cons are really just a wish list of features that I knew the camera didn't have when I bought it.
These features are available on larger and/or more expensive cameras like the Panasonic LX3 or Ricohs. I wasn't prepared to sacrifice on size or spend more cash so the Nikon was a good fit for me.
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
|Sunflower Field by GrannyMeg|
from An impressionist piece
|Flag from Staten Island Ferry by wam7|
|SAND SCULPTURE by duskman|
from Landscape - Black and White #4