Canon PowerShot G7 review

Started Jul 24, 2009 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Madseeno New Member • Posts: 16
Canon PowerShot G7 review

I've had my G7 for roughly two and a half years. It feels solid like a brick, and colours and sharpness is excellent (at low ISO). The mode wheel is an excellent feature, including the two custom modes. The ISO wheel is nice, although one normally wants to leave it at ISO 80 for maximum IQ. To me, an EC wheel would be more useful (which the G10 in fact has). Still, dialing in som EC is relatively easy with the control wheel at the back, which is another nice feature of this camera. I appreciate the shooting priority design (refusing to buy any camera with an irritating playback/record switch which is always in the wrong position). Dynamic range is a little bit low and there's too much noise at high ISOs. I'd love a better sensor with "quality pixels" in a body like this.

Problems:

Dust. There's dust on the sensor or somewhere inside (or at the back of) the lens. I've sent it in for cleaning once during the warranty period, that took a month. Since then, new dust particles have emerged. One of the deciding factors for bying a compact was to avoid having to deal with DSLR dust issues, but in hindsight I would *love* to be able to clean the sensor and the back of the lens. As for now, I'm stuck with the dust particles. I could send it in for cleaning once more, but I don't want to be without it for another month.

Lately, the camera sometimes welcomes me with a "no memory card" message when turned on, but after a couple of removal and insertion operations, it accepts the card.

I sometimes use the camera for action photography (mountain biking). Being a part of the action myself, one sometimes realizes that the ISO wheel, the mode wheel and/or the control wheel has moved without me noticing. I miss some kind of lock feature.

Canon PowerShot G7
10 megapixels • 2.5 screen • 35 – 210 mm (6×)
Announced: Sep 14, 2006
Madseeno's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow