Olympus PEN E-P1 review

Started Nov 2, 2009 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
PHolveck New Member • Posts: 10
Olympus PEN E-P1 review

I have spent more than 3 months with my E-P1 and its 14-42 mm zoom lens, shooting most of the time using P mode at 200 ISO. 75% of my pictures were taken outside in mountain, 25% in city or indoor. Using the E-P1 is very easy including the often used controls (exposure and manual focus) using the upper control dial. Picture quality is very good with a lot of details and "macro" gives wonderful results. Coming from the Canon G7 and its poor viewfinder, I feel comfortable with Live View ; sure, in bright sun the LCD may be almost not readible but this does not happen often (based on 2 months holidays mountainering in sunny south of Alps). Manual focus is very easy with the automatic magnifying.

Problems:

The only problem I encountered was in multi target autofocus mode : with zoom on wide the E-P1 often focus on the closest subject in the foreground when you want to shoot a landscape. In that case it may be very difficult to focus on infinity even changing the composition. Fortunately focus is kept on the whole zoom range, you can zoom on tele, focus, fix it and come back to wide angle before shooting.

PHolveck's gear list:PHolveck's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Apple Aperture
Olympus PEN E-P1
12 megapixels • 3 screen • Four Thirds sensor
Announced: Jun 16, 2009
PHolveck's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow