Canon PowerShot A580 review

Started Jun 17, 2010 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Bruce W Roeser New Member • Posts: 9
Canon PowerShot A580 review

I purchased the A580 as a 2nd camera that I could take with me in my bicycle saddle bag. (My primary camera is an SX-10 IS).

Surprisingly enough I find that I use this camera more than I do the SX-10! No, it's not as feature-rich as the larger camera is, however the shots it takes are excellent. In many situations I can not, quite honestly, tell the difference between the two. The 580 is 8MP as opposed to the 10MP on the larger unit but it's difficult to tell the difference at first glance.

Sometimes I think the reviewers of these units are critical about things that are not noticable to the end user. One (ZDNet) said the 580 was built "cheap". The case is made of high-impact plastic (with metal bezel around the lens opening) but after using the thing for a year I would not have described it as "cheap" feeling.

The videos this little guy takes are also excellent. The sound is crisp, the image clear. With a couple GB of memory in it why would you even consider a Camcorder? (At least for short videos).

The camera is reasonably responsive, time between shots can get a little long sometimes if the scene is very complex but overall that's not a problem.

This unit is probably "out of print" by now but if you can still find one you won't be disappointed with it.

Problems:

None. Wish I'd had one of these 30 years ago. The shots are nearly as good as the bulky SLR I used to carry around. We've really gotten spoiled with this technology.

Canon PowerShot A580
8 megapixels • 2.5 screen • 35 – 140 mm (4×)
Announced: Jan 24, 2008
Bruce W Roeser's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow