Nikon D300S review
I had the camera for almost a year now and enjoy using it since the first day. It is a very well build, solid camera. The image quality is excellent once the use and the proper configuration is learned. The camera has a huge number of parameters to set up and the factory default may not be suitable for everyone, so user configuration may be necessary. It is definitely not a camera for those who are afraid of complex cameras.
Auto focus is lightening fast and accurate. The ISO noise is low even at very high ISO if the image is exposed right. Beware of the anti dust function. It is off by default.
I have upgraded from Olympus E-3. The D300s is no doubt a better camera in every way. I miss the swivel screen but the resolution of the LCD is just amazing, as opposed in the Olympus cameras. The Auto WB works better as well, more reliable and precise in colours.
Some of the cons are:
- Pixel mapping is not available from the menu.
- Swivel screen of the Canon G11 or Olympus type would be an advantage.
- Easier access of some menus would be desirable.
- Eyepiece rubber is not good. Had to replace it with the Olympus EP-6.
No problems so far.
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%