Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM user review

Started Nov 18, 2011 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
J Heppell New Member • Posts: 2
Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM user review

I've had this lense for a few months now and I am impressed with it. The large field of view has been rather spectacular to play around with and to see what I can fit into the scene; such as my entire lounge room or kitchen with rather exaggerated proportions around the edges. By taking photos of text positioned at the corner of the image, I noticed that this lense does possess rather pronounced astigmatism (coma), which isn't suprising due to the bulb-like front element. Because of that, I set the aperture to around F9-11 rather than wide open unless the light is so low that it calls for it. By doing so, I noticed that the astigmatism is reduced to a more acceptable degree and I obtained a more even sharpness across the whole frame before diffraction starts having any significant affect. Plus the hyperfocal distance is so short that virtually nothing is out of focus regardless of the aperture, especially if photographing landscapes. Other than that, I have been very happy with it. It's produced nice sharp images, it's well built and feels very solid and comfortable to use. I have never felt a real need to use filters of any kind on this lense but you may just get away with using a filter at 16mm if you crop out the edges but otherwise they can't be used on this lense. Chromatic abberations are no real issue either. In the corners of the images, some CA's are noticable at at least 100% magnification but they're certainly not a show stopper especially if the camera (such as my D90) removes them automatically if shooting jpeg's; a testimony to the FLD elements. I would certainly recommend this lense to anyone who wants an ultra-wide perspective on an APS fromat camera.

Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM
Wideangle zoom lens • Canon EF-S, Nikon F (DX), Pentax KAF3, Sigma SA Bayonet, Sony/Minolta Alpha DT • 203
Announced: Feb 20, 2010
J Heppell's score
Average community score
Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow