Great all rounder

Started May 10, 2012 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Tamati New Member • Posts: 7
Great all rounder

I have been using this lens for well over a year now, paired up with a Canon 60D and it has been great. I originally had the twin lens kit 18-55 and 70-300 but found I was missing a lot of shots when I had the wrong lens on - this has totally eliminated the issue due to its fantastic range. You do need to be aware of some of the limitations: at the 18mm there is a lot of distortion at the edges - people will have 'fat arm' syndrome at this length if they are positioned close to the sides of the frame. I also agree with others that the colour reproduction is a little dull. I did compare this to the Tamron superzoom that goes to 270mm but when I put them on the camera the extra focal reach didn't actually seem to be that much more and the Tamron was a LOT slower to focus - so much so that I knew I would miss a lot of shots. The canon is fast and accurate to grab focus, especially if you select a set focus point. I have also used it for semi-pro portraiture, again you need to watch the focal length, distortion and sharpness, and the clients have been happy with the images. I haven't noticed the image degradation at the extreme zoom lengths but then I usually stop around 180mm because as mentioned the last 20mm zoom doesn't seem to increase the image size much at all. I do a lot of event photography for schools and the flexibility of the zoom is just unbeatable. Paired with a decent flash (580 exII) I have been able to get fantastic shots of school performances in dimly lit halls and also used it to take 400 student portraits which came out much better than I expected. Overall a great all-round lens.

Problems:

Distortion and barrelling

Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Lens • Canon EF-S • 2752B002
Announced: Aug 26, 2008
Tamati's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow