Great Starter

Started Sep 14, 2012 | User reviews thread
Flat view
fivestarleaf New Member • Posts: 2
Great Starter

I wanted to dip into more extensive cameras that weren't just point and shoots. I found this camera along with a M.Zuiko Macro 50mm MF F1.8 for about $100 with all the packaging in place from a relative so I decided to give it a try. I initally wasn't able to use the Iauto function as I didn't have a AF lumix lens. The GF3 is perfect with the M.Zuiko Macro 50mm, the depth of field that it was able to capture amazed me. The touch screen menus can be confusing at first, but after a day of use I had it down by memory. The GF3 snaps photos fairly quick, getting images of cars driving by isn't a problem.

Taking night photos with very minimal light can be hard, the iso needs to be set up to 6400, and you'll need a very stable tripod (which I now have).

I acquired an AF Lumix G Vario 14-42mm, this is a must have for the camera. Several of the special modes on the GF3 can only be fully utilized with the AF lens. However I found my M.Zuiko to be more satisfying at night. The pop-up flash on the GF3 is able to tilt, which is very handy when taking photos indoors.

Several people posted that they had trouble with this camera, but honestly after taking it around everywhere and trying out all the settings, the GF3 is a versatile camera. After doing the Video Hack, the quality changed immensely, I recommend it for anyone wanting to make a short film. The downside however is that adjustments can't be made during recording.

If you want something light to carry but want similar DSLR quality images, I'd recommend this camera

I recommend getting a screen protector. The screen itself is large and of course is a touch screen.

The speaker on the GF3 has a very low volume, You'll have to hold it up to your ear to hear what you recorded.

fivestarleaf's gear list:fivestarleaf's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3
12 megapixels • 3 screen • Four Thirds sensor
Announced: Jun 13, 2011
fivestarleaf's score
Average community score
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow