Short Review of Olympus OMD EM5

Started Oct 9, 2012 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
RJM400 New Member • Posts: 6
Short Review of Olympus OMD EM5

I am an enthusiastic amateur that has been using the Panasonic FZ150 bridge camera for several months. I am very pleased with the all round ability of this camera. It delivers some very nice photos BUT there is just something lacking. I suppose I'd say there was no 'punch' or 'oomph' in the photo's. The experienced user or pro would probably say it was lack of image quality or whatever.

Anyway, I decided I'd look at the whole market and see what was about and suit my needs. I didn't really fancy a DSLR because of the size, but it wasn't out of the question. Anyway, I bought a pile of photo magazines and went through them and decided a Compact System Camera would probably be the way to go for me. I fancied the Fuji X-Pro but looking at reviews and opinions it was a great camera but some had reported problems which the manufacturer had not resolved under warranty. I had some others in mind. Then, out fell a leaflet advert for the Oly OMD EM5 endorsed by a master photographer and some other users.

I trawled the internet and just could not find one bad review. Virtually all were singing it's praises and any criticisms were just minor. I thought I'd get one, try it, and if it wasn't what I wanted I'd sell it and probably get most of my money back.

Well, I ordered a black one with the 12-50mm kit lens, and the attachable battery holder and grip.

I used the camera for a couple of weeks and most of the pictures were producing the 'punch' which was lacking from my bridge camera. Last week I added a 20mm Panasonic F1.7 lens to make the camera more portable (pocket wise). This lens is great indoors without a flash and good for walkabout.

I will be taking my time to get a good deal on a good quality zoom lens at F2.8.

I've taken well over a thousand photo's and in some cases I admit it's hit and miss as I'm still getting to grips with the controls. But, I'd say that 60-70% are really excellent quality. The Art filter is a great little tool which I really enjoy using.

From a lay mans view I can see why magazine reviews and users are raving about this little camera. It has something special, that 'X' factor!

Problems:

I've found the menu system difficult to get my head around and, personally, I think I could have designed a much better and easier navigation system! The Panny Bridge Camera menu navigation puts the Olympus OMD to shame!!!!

I've upgraded the firmware to 1.5 and the AF on both my lenses has gone really noisier!? I can't see any navigatable menu differences.

I really hope Olympus look at improving the menu system. I'm starting to get used to it now but any good system should hardly need reference to the manual.

RJM400's gear list:RJM400's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Ricoh GR III Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
Olympus OM-D E-M5
16 megapixels • 3 screen • Four Thirds sensor
Announced: Feb 8, 2012
RJM400's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
acceptable
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
good
= community average
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow