Big is indeed beautiful

Started Oct 27, 2012 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
frieherrfoto New Member • Posts: 8
Big is indeed beautiful

Walk into any NRA approved gun shop and the first thing they look at is your hands. Yup, big hands means you need a bigger gun and that's how you should look at the Galaxy Note.

I happen to have big hands and I have used the iPhone and sort of gotten a tad too disappointed when the iPhone 4S just didn't measure up. That's why I switched over to the the big guns.

The Amoled screen is nothing short of superb. Hell, who gives a shit if you have a tiny screen with retina display? With my fingers, I would have to pick at the keyboard just to send a text message and we have all heard how disastrous autocorrect can be on your social life.

I have used my GN to surf the net, take pictures and show them off at the same time, geo-locate my next of kin, and read books and magazines. Yes this is entirely possible thanks to the big screen.

Watching a movie is cool too, no fuss there. Big on real estate, you could comfortably sit through a 2 hour movie while spooning with you loved one—one of the things you probably find difficult to do on a puny screen.

Then there is the S pen. I must admit I don't use it much but when I do, I can't think of a better way to express it. There are times when all you want is to just jot down the stuff you have to do. The very act of writing on a screen like this is strangely satisfying. I can't imaging people doing this on a tiny screen though I hear it is possible if you born Elf like.

Another thing is Google Voice actions, which you can use to write memos when I am feeling all too lazy to type on a keyboard. Sure you need a data line to access this so that's not a problem. What's more, you can also give SIRI like commands to the phone while you are driving, like sending a text to fire your boss or telling your wife to take the bus home coz you're out playing poker with her parents.

People with Presbyopia won't have to whip out their glasses either if the text is legible and big on a screen like this. Believe me, it's not the same on those 3.5 inch devices where you still have to tax your retina just to read off that retina screen.

The camera is spiffy too, 8 megapixels. Load up Streamzoo or Instagram if you like and share away your casual frames. It is difficult not to like this phone unless you're born like a dwarf with short fingers. I have seen teenage girls carry this and I marvel at the device, thinking it was some new fangled gadget from Samsung, only to realize it is the same device I have with me.

That's how it is when you have big hands. The Note just makes perfect sense.

Problems:

The one thing that people tend to notice is that when you're having so much fun on the device, the battery has to give and it does. Even before the ICS upgrade, the GN had a slew of problems related to battery life—much of it due to incompatible apps that ran circles around your processor.

Battery life is probably good for about 8 to 10 hours with modest use. Less if you happen to read, listening to music and facebook.

The display is what drains most of the power and this is to be expected. Thankfully, you can buy a spare battery and pop one in should you happen to run out of juice at the crucial hour. That said I have never heard anyone who has done the same on a iOS device.

Samsung Galaxy Note
5.3 screen • 8 megapixels (rear) • 2 megapixels (front)
frieherrfoto's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow