The biggest zoom (for now!)

Started Nov 9, 2012 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Augustin Man
Augustin Man Forum Pro • Posts: 11,320
The biggest zoom (for now!)

How far would they go? The "anti-zoomers" were believing that any zoom above 25X was useless, since "you would need a tripod anyway"; now after the splendid sensor-glass system of Nikon P510 (42X), Canon pushed the limit to 50X and with an even better IS than its rival.

What I like about this camera? Almost everything: the zoom is very good, also the macro and the video, focusing fast enough, images are usable even at high ISO, there are a lot of features and controls (I didn't test them all yet), in short a rewarding camera; and surprisingly the maximum aperture of 3.4 (compared with 2.7 to SX40 and 3.0 to the rival P510) is not as restrictive as some people might have expected.

What I don't like? The artificially implemented restriction of ISO 80 (fixed) for shutter speed less than 1.3 seconds, even in M and Av modes. Very disturbing when shooting a rather dark night landscapes, because 15 seconds at aperture 6.5 (for a bigger depth of field in AF) is simply not enough! Until CHDK will relieve it, the workaround is to go in manual focus mode, set it to infinity and set the aperture at 4.5 or even 3.4; please see
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50258461

Problems:

No problems until now.

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
12 megapixels • 2.8 screen • 24 – 1200 mm (50×)
Announced: Sep 17, 2012
Augustin Man's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
great
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Nikon Coolpix P510
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow