Close second to the 100 (although stars say the contrary by mistake)

Started Jan 2, 2013 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dodi73
Dodi73 Senior Member • Posts: 2,056
Close second to the 100 (although stars say the contrary by mistake)

Having the 100 as reference bar isn't easy at all, yet the 35 shows its goods in everyday shooting. What really surprises me is its ability and image quality in close focusing (although not macro, you can approach common subjects to a remarkable extent) and in wide open to relatively wide apertures. An accurate focusing at f/2 is already able to achieve wonderful image quality that is steadily and slightly improved up to f/5.6 when the lens is at its top. Despite this lens is made for ambient light, using a side flash only adds microcontrast and a 3D effect to the image, especially with people / faces / round subjects.
When I got my D600 I paired it for an offer with the Tamron 24-70 VC USD. Despite such lens is no slouch at all (see its review), I find using Zeiss primes much more satisfying everytime I'm not in a rush. Probably the only real "minus" the 35 shows compared to its more expensive brethen is the shorter focusing ring. A longer and more accurate one might have been better, but that's really nitpicking. Whatever the lens, I think there should be in any case a 5m / 7m reference before the infinity settings. Most of subjects in fact falls in the 3m-7m range.
Build quality is exceptional and hope I can retain such lenses until I have a camera and the opportunity to shoot with it.

Problems:

none so far.

Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35
Wideangle prime lens • Canon EF, Nikon F (FX), Pentax KAF
Dodi73's score
Average community score
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow