Probably the most underestimated zoom lens out there.

Started Jan 2, 2013 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Dodi73
Dodi73 Senior Member • Posts: 2,056
Probably the most underestimated zoom lens out there.

Having in my bag only Zeiss lenses, when I had to get my D600, I accepted the offer to pair it with the Tamron 24-70 VC USD. Actually my approach has always been a standard zoom lens and a set of three or more primes to fit the bag every time I exit (one at a time of course), depending on the subject. I was e)xtremely satisfied of all my previous Tamron lenses ( worth only saying I exchanged my 90 F/2.8 macro for no less than the Zeiss 2/100!) both the 28-75 and the 70-200. Actually, I'd have preferred a longer reach from this lens (24-90 f/2.8 or 24-135 F/4 would have been perfect) and in the end I wouldn't have cared for one stop difference. Compared to the 28-75, the 70mm is somewhat shorter and you already notice it, while the 24mm is much larger at the wide end. Despite my well known love for primes, I'd definitely advice this standard zoom if you have to get one. Build quality is definitely improved and the only real cons I can think of is the huge 82mm filter size which makes a pain getting a related cpl for it.
VC is effective, and USD fast enough. On a D600 I can't notice any relevant hunting, af is fast and responsive as it would be on branded zooms.

Problems:

none so far.

Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD
Zoom lens • Canon EF, Nikon F (FX), Sony/Minolta Alpha • A007
Announced: Feb 6, 2012
Dodi73's score
Average community score
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow