Travel Tripod?

Started Mar 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Pete512
Pete512 Forum Member • Posts: 68
Re: Travel Tripod?

I bought the T1025X today, after trying out my heaviest rig at the distributor today.

The load was Canon 60D + TC2x III + 70-200/2.8 L II, so about 2.6kg. Using Liveview magnified out at 10x, with the crop factor and TC2x, the effective FL would be 640mm.  The 70-200 had a lens plate, so it was balanced on the K10X ballhead.  Admittedly, if you bumped the camera, there was noticeable shake, but weighted with the camera bag on the hook, in a windless environment, the image was very steady.

They had the T025 there as well, but it just didn't even look like it was going to take this load.  The QR plate on the C10 ballhead is just so small.  Probably ok for CSC's.

I also have the N2204 with a K30X head, and it is absolutely rock steady.  But I need a light and small travel tripod for some upcoming trips.  The T1025X at 340mm folded length will fit inside a carry-on suitcase and weighs just over 1kg including the head compared to 1.8kg for the N2204 rig.  So it's a worthwhile compromise.

It comes with a long and short centre column, the long one is reversible, and the short one can be mounted on top of the long one to get an extended height of about 1.4m, then add the height of the ballhead.  There's 3 leg angles, plus fully reverted over the extended center column.  But this extended height probably won't handle the 70-200mm, only at a stretch for a wide-angle lens.

Pete512's gear list:Pete512's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow