Resolution test, between crop (18MP) and fullframe (12.8MP)

Started Mar 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Great Bustard Forum Pro • Posts: 41,334
Here ya go:

Rick Knepper wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

I didn't even have to download the images to know this although I did anyway (I wanted to see the Auto Exposure Bracketing building up close). The 60D produces clearer detail (resolution). To be honest, I haven't seen claims made regarding the ones you mention although noise claims seem to persist for crop cameras. The Nikon D7100 has me thinking about crop though.

Like a broken record, I keep saying there is more detail captured in a 21 MP image than there is in a 12 MP and this holds true for 36 MP vs 21 MP, so it would also apply across platforms.

It is not always so:

http://www.josephjamesphotography.com/equivalence/index.htm#lensvssensor

In short, the resolution as a function of sensor size and pixel count can be summed up as follows:

For a given lens sharpness, the difference in resolution (lw/ph) between two systems will be between the ratio of the sensor heights (enlargement ratio) and the ratio of picture height in pixels (linear pixel density). The sharper the lens, the closer the balance will be to the ratio of linear pixel density, the less sharp the lens, the closer the balance will be to the enlargement ratio.

For the OP's particular test, the 24-70 / 2.8L II is sharp enough to where the balance slightly favors the system with more pixels. For a lens that was less sharp, it would favor the larger sensor.

Another decent test I'd like to see (like this one by the way thanks) is the 60D vs a 5D2/5D3 to see how pixel density affects resolution.

In this case, FF has both more pixels and a larger sensor, so the resolution advantage will go to FF everytime (for a given lens sharpness). However, how much more resolution will depend on motion blur, camera shake, diffraction, and DOF, among other things.

Quite frankly, you make way too many statements without having actually tested most of them. So tell me, what lens would give the 5D the advantage in this particular test?

Well, I can't perform the test, however, I've put in a request for you:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/51039706

Let's hope the OP has some "less able" lenses and is willing to oblige.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow