Resolution test, between crop (18MP) and fullframe (12.8MP)

Started Mar 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350
Re: The test was performed properly.

Steen Bay wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

nedelcho wrote:

Didn't you see my second test, where I shoot at apertures f/4 for 60D and f/5.6 for 5D. What you are agreeing for, I can not understand? Here is a link in case you've missed it.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3398807?page=3#forum-post-51030488

Anyway I've made my point and I posted examples for anyone to see. If they see it, or not is their choice.

Not sure what's your point? Nobody denies Canon 18mp APS-C is able to outresolve 12.8mp 5D but you'd need the best lenses.

Or could it be that applying a bit more sharpening to the 18mp APS-C images is enough? It's not that a 18mp APS-C sensor 'outresolves' the lenses, it's just that the pixel level contrast is lower than it is on a 18mp (or 12.8mp) FF sensor, and maybe a bit of extra sharpening is enough to make the 'hidden' detail visible? 

I only can tell my own experiences between 24-105L, 17-40L and Sigma 17-50/2.8 OS (that is on par with EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS), 5D/5D2 with 24-105L and 17-40L is obvious sharper and resolving more fine details than 60D with the same lenses or Sigma 17-50. Yes I do need to sharpen 60D files more. However actually 5D cameras withstand sharpening more than 60D before seeing obvious artifacts.

Under good light with best lenses, 60D does very well (my own photos show that such as in Disney parks in bright sunny light). Under poor light with average lenses, it's a different story that 5D clearly has advantage.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow