Resolution test, between crop (18MP) and fullframe (12.8MP)

Started Mar 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
MoreorLess Veteran Member • Posts: 4,646
Boarder sharpness...

nedelcho wrote:

I've read here several times allready, that crop cameras has much lower resolution, than even the old 5D, even with a very good lens. So I grow tired of such claims without any backup (except from the questionable DXO site) and decided to test this for myself. Unfortunately the weather here is so so now, so I've tested in the city (not a landscape) and the weather is changing so fast, that in the seconds which cost me to change bodies the sun went behind clouds. Even so, here are the pics, to judge for yourselves. I'll leave my commentary for now and add it later.

It might I spose be down to the focal lenghts involved with the 60D using the wider end of the 24-70 but for me the 5D clearly looks sharper at the boarders(look at the roof on the left with the banking sign) even with the 60D using the "sweet spot".

That to me seems to comfirm my feeling with Crop vs FF, the former can with the march of technology come to equal/surpass the latter when it comes to sensor performance but its going to be held back by optics more quickly.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow