Resolution test, between crop (18MP) and fullframe (12.8MP)

Started Mar 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350
Re: The test was performed properly.

Great Bustard wrote:

It would be odd to compare 50mm on FF to 50mm on crop. I know Peter is fond of saying a photographer using FF and crop would both use a 50mm prime, and the FF photographer would just get closer, but I'm more of the opinion that the FF photographer would use 85mm.

Well using different focus-length lenses to shoot from the same distance to frame the subject into the same AOV certainly is one of options but not the only one in real world.  You could adjust distance or by doing both.

For example when I use 50mm on FF, I mean to whole body portrait.  On 60D to achieve the same goal I have to move backward or have to use a shorter lens.  When I use 85mm on FF I mean for half body portrait.  With 60D unless I move back or changing lens, I will only ended with shoulder above.  In real world if you only have one lens or don't want to swap lenses, adjusting distance is very logical choice.  I believe we should test both scenarios to reflect how we use cameras in real world.  But for this purpose I will only test by using different length accordingly which means I only test by using zoom not prime.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow