5D Mark III photos with flash dark?

Started Mar 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Lemming51
Lemming51 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,588
Re: 5D Mark III photos with flash dark?

Samples?

"Nearly identical"?  What's different?  Note that if you have different framing, subjects, etc. then ETTL may read the scenes differently and tell the flash to use different power levels even if you've fixed the settings for ISO, shutter, and aperture.

Same picture style?   Jpg directly out of camera or the same for CR2?  Maybe ALO set on the 60D and not on the 5D III?

mimilou wrote:

Today I was testing some focusing stuff. I took nearly identical shots with my 60D and my 5D mark 3. The 60D had the 17-55 on it, and the Mark 3 had Tamron's 24-70. I set both @ f/4, 1/125, ISO 100, with flash (430 ex ii) bounced straight up on ETTL at -1/3 FEC. Each lens was zoomed to its max focal length so I guess if we take into account the crop factor of the 60D, the 60D was actually @ 88 mm to the 5D's 70. I found that the shots from the Mark III were a lot darker than the 60D. I had to up the FEC by 2/3 to 1 stop to get the same exposure on the Mark III. I put the 24-70 on the 60D just to check the results to see if it wasn't a lens issue, which I didn't think it was, and the shots were just as bright as with the 17-55. I read a thread in this forum several weeks back (which I can't find) where someone had a Mark III and possibly a Rebel and the shots with the Mark III were much darker with a flash, but that was with a diffuser on. I had no diffuser on for these shots. Is there any reason this should be happening or is this just an issue/feature/something I have to learn to live with on the Mark III?

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow