Need help getting higher quality wide angle shots - Canon 17-55 2.8 ?

Started Mar 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mummel Forum Member • Posts: 84
Need help getting higher quality wide angle shots - Canon 17-55 2.8 ?

Hi all - I'm still stuck with the fact that I can't get proper wide angle shots on my T3i (my kit len sucks).  Right now I shoot 99% of the time with a 50mm 1.8.  I really love it (and I've been spoiled by the sharp images/shallow DOF, thats why I just cant use my kit lens).  I take mostly family pics etc.  But I am missing out on a lot of shots indoors.  I've been debating for ages whether to buy a full frame camera (6D or 5D3) and keep my 50mm (which would give me the perfect FOV I need and nice shallow DOF), or buy the 24-70 2.8 L II and keep my T3i (with the intention of upgrading to full frame in a couple of years), or buy a 35mm F2 IS II which would give me a slightly wide angle but the lens seems way overpriced, or buy a 17-55 now and run the risk of going full frame in a couple of years and having to sell my equipment at a loss.

Some other info - I mostly shoot at F2.8 on the fifty (70% of the time) and at F4 for close up shots.  I've found 1.8-2.8 to be useless to me (at least on the T3i, may be different on a FF/better camera) as the images are soft/out of focus.  I do corporate portraits on the side (a gig every 6 months or so) which helps fund my hobby.  I like to travel so weight is important (another reason I love the 50 but again, then I'm limited to having no wide angle).  I'd like to do more professional work on the portrait side so would like to upgrade my gear over time.

What would you recommend I do?  If I do buy the 17-55, will I miss the sharpness of the fifty (I assume DOF would be fine as both are 2.8)?  If I do get a 5DM3, will I regret the choice as it is very big/heavy for travel and I may not use it as much for travel.  If I get the 24-70, will it still be a bit too tight indoors if I plan to keep my T3i for a while, and will I regret the it's weight for travel?  Will the 35mm prime still be too tight indoors and basically not be worth the $$$ for IQ, as well as having to be changed all the time when I travel (I don't like changing lenses but only do so when I travel, but I mostly try use the 50 as a walk-around)?

As always, there is no one-stop lens but given my uses/preferences, any ideas?  TIA!

Mummel's gear list:Mummel's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow