If you've decided on Coolpix A instead of X100s, please share your thinking.

Started Mar 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
camerosity Senior Member • Posts: 1,615
Re: If you've decided on Coolpix A instead of X100s, please share your thinking.

Jman13 wrote:

IMO, the Nikon A is ridiculously overpriced. Yes, it's small, but an $1,100 camera without a viewfinder is simply absurd, especially with a relatively slow lens (for a prime) and limited external control. No thanks. At $700, it may have been attractive, at $1,100, it's frankly a joke.

Leica X1 retailed for $1999 - with no viewfinder. When the Fuji X100 came out at $1299 it obliterated the Leica X1. Now Leica has the X2, now Fuji the X100S. Getting the picture now?

Nikon is taking aim at the Sony RX100, not the Fuji X100, in this case. And yes, the price for the Nikon A is high, but the price has already fallen a bit for it at Best Buy.

Will I buy the Nikon A? Nope. It looks like a cheap Coolpix to me. Why not design it to look like the Nikon 35Ti or 28Ti? That would get my attention for sure. They had superb Nikon f2.8 fixed focal length lenses, that were considerably more expensive to manufacture as they had to cover a full frame piece of film. There is no reason why Nikon couldn't make a digital 35Ti or 28Ti. I'd buy one. But not the A, which is still a digital point and shoot.

A Nikon P7700 with a DX size sensor? Now you're talking!

camerosity's gear list:camerosity's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow