Noticeable difference in image quality between the Panasonic GX1 and the GH3?

Started Mar 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Marco Cinnirella
Marco Cinnirella Veteran Member • Posts: 7,141
Re: Noticeable difference in image quality between the Panasonic GX1 and the GH3?

As others have said, there is some improvement in dynamic range and high ISO in the GH3 sensor, the latter being more or less on a par with the OM-D sensor. But the GX1 sensor is still a very good one, and unlike Jalywol I actually preferred it to the GH2/G5 sensor.

I own the GX1 and GH3 and have always felt that the rangefinder style cameras are, in a way, more true to what micro four thirds set out to do, in terms of low weight and portability. I wouldn't want to be without a rangefinder/GX1 format micro four thirds camera. I use the GX1 for travel and the GH3 for more seious work.

If you are searching for better IQ then yes the GH3 will give it to you, but so will the OM-D, E-PL5 or E-PM2. I did try an E-PL5 - it has the OM-D sensor and amazing high ISO (and JPEGs) but I couldn't live with the ergonomics. I imagine the GX2 and E-P5 will be very good cameras, and though quite expensive, I imagine they will be cheaper than the GH3.

For me, I am keeping both my GX1 and GH3 for the reasons outlined above - the GX1 remains a very good travel camera.

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a99 II Sony Alpha a99 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow