Down on the 18-55 O.I.S.

Started Mar 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
sgoldswo
sgoldswo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,725
Re: Very happy with the 18-55 O.I.S.

Erational wrote:

sgoldswo wrote:

Not sure what was wrong with your two copies, but mine (bought separately) is bitingly sharp for a kit zoom. The comment about kit zooms always being sharp above is just plain misrepresentative - many are sharp at a point in their range or stopped down. Not so many are bitingly sharp wide open and continue to be sharp until diffraction takes hold. Here is one from mine this week, handheld (and full size - feel free to pixel peep):

sgoldswo: You know these colors you got with your Fuji just make me want to gobble-up the picture- they are so tasty. I don't want to be a bummer, but this shot you uploaded just is not sharp. Look at page 1 of this thread with the classic car- that is at least getting close to sharp. The foal is gorgeous, but it's hair looks clumped into a fuzzy mass. Really sharp would mean you can discern some of the individual blades of grass near the horses nose. Are you sure you had the OIS on?

You have some high standards! Just a quick point to note but why would anyone need to use OIS with a shutter speed of 1/1700?

All I can say is yes it is - in any event I think you've just mistaken DOF for sharpness (a very common mistake). Take a look at the mane of the horse on its neck at 100% (which is where the point of focus was). If being able to discern the hairs of the mane isn't sharp I'm not sure what is...

If you won't take that then look at this (on the beak, head and neck):

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X100F Olympus E-M1 II Nikon D850 Sony a7R III +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow