If you've decided on Coolpix A instead of X100s, please share your thinking.

Started Mar 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ariston Senior Member • Posts: 2,401
Re: 28mm and no AA, check your shooting habits

Daniel Lauring wrote:

Ariston wrote:

well I don't think that the Sony sensor and Toshiba are the best. at low ISO, the best seems to be the Foveon sensor if you talk about DR and resolution. the Sony and Toshiba sensor though are best with High ISO results.

Two points. 1. Nikon doesn't currently use the Foveon sensor. It does use the Sony and Toshiba sensors in it's 3200, 5200 and 7100 SLR's. 2. The Sony and Toshiba sensors have better dynamic range and arguably slightly better resolution than the Foveon. The Sony and Toshiba sensors have much, much better high ISO performance. The only advantage the Foveon has is the lack of color Moire (though it suffers from other Moire.)

P.S. I've been wanting to try a DP2M and was tempted by the recent price drop, but not tempted enough.

thanks. I'm aware that Nikon is not using a Foveon sensor but a Sony for the D800 (which I have).  of course there is not argument that the advantage is at High ISO. one of the reasons that I got curious about the DP2M is the perceived detail and resolution at supposedly 36MP? the DR is only a small part of it but so far from what I see, it does look to be impressive even by not looking at the numbers. from what I think, it excels with the highlights since Foveon seems to excel with available broader spectrum of light as opposed to the Sony which excels in the shadows. I think this makes sense.

anyway, the recent price drop is really tempting but quite gives me some mixed feelings as to possible limitations that comes with it. I wouldn't mind getting it immediately for $300 though.

the Coolpix A however is a complete pass for me. just too limiting and too much for what Nikon is asking it for.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow