If you've decided on Coolpix A instead of X100s, please share your thinking.

Started Mar 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ray Sachs
Ray Sachs Forum Pro • Posts: 10,580
Re: If you've decided on Coolpix A instead of X100s, please share your thinking.

JSTB wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Coolpix A is way smaller, perfect for landscapes…should be super sharp at f/4…combined with RX1…lethal combo...

"lethal???!!!!!!???" Don't you think that's a just wee bit of hyperbole? Admittedly I prefer the X100S because of the viewfinder. However I do shoot Nikon FF as well as an X Pro and X100 and think the Nikon looks like a very nice camera that would be better priced around $750 because of the lack of a viewfinder. I'm sure they will be selling about that price this time next year used and perhaps I will get one then. Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, they are all very good cameras. None of them are going to make you a better photographer. That's about compostion and creativity.

Its just about different priorities. If a viewfinder is a big priority to you, you would think a camera with one would be worth more than a camera without one and would be willing to pay more. If, OTOH, you value size and discreteness and the wider angle more than you value a viewfinder, you might think the Coolpix A is a better camera and worth more than a camera with a great viewfinder that sacrificed small size because of it and had too narrow a focal length besides.

I'm not suggesting either of these positions is RIGHT or WRONG. I love both kinds of cameras - my X-Pro is possibly my favorite camera but I like my GXR-28 (without a viewfinder) just as much but for very different reasons. I would like the Coolpix A more than the X100s because for a fixed lens camera, I greatly prefer 28mm to 35, value small size a lot, and don't care much about a viewfinder for lenses with this wider field of view. Whether I'm going to like it more than the GXR-28 is the more critical question to me and will determine whether I buy it or not. I had an X100 - I liked it except I never learned to love the focal length. The X-Pro gives me multiple focal lengths, some I use almost always with the viewfinder, some not so much. 28mm I can pretty much frame without a viewfinder or even a rear screen - its in my system down to the level of DNA, almost.  So we all value different things and would pay more or less for a camera accordingly, no?

-Ray
-------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/collections/72157626204295198/

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow