If you've decided on Coolpix A instead of X100s, please share your thinking.

Started Mar 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ray Sachs
Ray Sachs Forum Pro • Posts: 10,580
Re: If you've decided on Coolpix A instead of X100s, please share your thinking.

Ariston wrote:

I'm a photographer as well but I wasn't really offended by the poster's claim of being a photographer. I did however understood what he/she meant the need for him/her to use a VF for his/her work as a photographer and the potential reasons why he/she said so. and I don't believe that the poster is a totally clueless individual that is needed to be told what others could accomplish without a viewfinder, I think he/she is pretty clear about that. to me, your reply is obnoxious and is more insulting towards other people and somehow demeans the credibility of others. anyway, you might want to check out this other person's portfolio first before leaving some sarcastic remarks next time.

I went back and read the post I took offense to - this is it:

"I'm a photographer ... and therefore would not even consider a camera without a viewfinder !

I did not say you can't take great pictures with a "point n shoot", but again ... as a photographer ... NO ... plenty of reasons !"

I suppose under the most generous reading of this, you could be right that he's just saying that for HIM, as a photographer, he'd always want a viewfinder. I find it very difficult to read it that way. The tone of "I'm a photograper...and therefore (emphasis added) would not even consider a camera without a viewfinder"! And ends with an exclamation mark. I can't read that as anything other than saying that anyone who's an actual photographer would never consider a camera without a viewfinder. And the way he emphasizes that point again in the next paragraph reinforces that impression.

Now look, Velu is from Belgium - English may not be his first language. This may be a simple misunderstanding based on a language barrier, and if so, I'm in the wrong. If I'm mis-reading his intent, I will apologize to him all day long.  So, Velu, if you're still reading, please clarify your intent if I've mis-represented it. If that's the case, I owe you an apology.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if confronted by strong language that I believe insults an entire class of photographers based on not sharing a personal preference, I'll use sarcasm and any other rhetorical tool to take that on directly and strongly.

As to your suggestion that I check out his portfolio, I find that totally irrelevant. I'm not questioning his bona-fides as a photographer. My first assumption is that most of the people who post regularly around here are pretty good photographers and will change that opinion only when proven wrong, and won't insult their photography even then because we're all just trying to get better. But the bottom line is if I'm reading his statement correctly, I don't care if he's the second incarnation of Henri Cartier-Bresson and Ansel Adams combined, I'll still take on what I read as a very demeaning statement towards those photographers who choose a different method than his. I've NEVER suggested, and never would, that people shouldn't use a viewfinder or that it makes THEM lesser photographers. I'm totally open to anyone's personal preference about how to make good images. They can use huge DSLRs or iPhones or anything in between - I don't care - a good photographer is a good photographer, and there are a lot of them! I was reacting to my interpretation of his statement as insulting to everyone who might choose to buy a camera without a viewfinder by suggesting they're not photographers. If I mis-interpreted his intent, as I said, I apologize and will apologize to him personally. But if I interpreted his post correctly, I stand by every word, sarcastic as they were.

-Ray
-------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/collections/72157626204295198/

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow