Studio Room Lights

Started Mar 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
rfactor
OP rfactor Contributing Member • Posts: 534
Re: Studio Room Lights

Sailor Blue wrote:

The less room light on the subject the easier it is to see the modeling lights, on the other hand some light is needed in the area where the photographer is for safety and to make reading the camera settings easy.

The one thing I would do is make sure that you could turn off the lights in the model area and dim those in the photographers area.

For the window, if you are going to be using it for natural light portraits then you need access to it and probably want sheers and nicely colored drapes. When using only studio strobes, however, you don't want window light interfering so you need some good light blocking drapes. It is probably easier to do without the window.

What about storage for equipment and backdrops? What about an area for working on images with your computer? What about a customer greeting area? What about a makeup area? Bathroom?

Don't forget any of the above. They all have lighting requirements too.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Great reply!  I never thought of having the lights in the studio on two different switches so I can turn off the lights in the shooting area and dim the lights in the photographer area.  Thanks again!

-- hide signature --

-Ryan-
FZ200

rfactor's gear list:rfactor's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow