Shakeout in the mirrorless market

Started Feb 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
peevee1 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,247
Re: Peter, interesting analysis

Peter 1745 wrote:

Also... the M4/3 lens catalog is a HUGE advantage. It will take others ten years to catch up, assuming M4/3 stands still for ten years. And it was a brilliant move for them to focus on fast prime lenses, since these both lend themselves to a smaller camera concept, and the lens speed is really needed for a smaller sensor.

The interesting lenses for m4/3 have only appeared in the last 2 years. Do you remember how slow the early m4/3 lenses were to focus? New entrants to mirrorless will miss out these early mistakes and go straight to the successful designs. The catch up period could be quite short.

Agree. Especially with on-sensor PDAF, lens design becomes less important.

I see the advantage of APS-C very slight with the newest 4/3 sensors. And I see the advantage over smaller formats being huge. M4/3 has hit the sweet spot, combining performance, value, ergonomics and lens selection.

For most people m4/3 doesn't have a size advantage over APS-C mirrorless systems.There is a limit to how far a camera body can be shrunk and still have good haptics. Sony has shown that the APS-C sensor can fit into this minimum size. The smaller size of the m4/3 sensor confers no advantage in body size. Smaller lenses are possible with m4/3 and this advantage becomes more important with the greater number of lenses you own. However, unlike you and me, most ILC buyers only ever use the kit lens that came with the camera so the small lens advantage becomes moot.

Look at the size of the new Sony NEX3N and its kit lens compared to the E-PM2 (link) , Which has the size advantage?

Wrong comparison. This is the right comparison:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#442.360,315.335,ha,t

Sony:

Panasonic:

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow