Down on the 18-55 O.I.S.

Started Mar 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
shigzeo
shigzeo Senior Member • Posts: 2,053
Re: Down on the 18-55 O.I.S.

baobob wrote:

And in defense of some of the people you mentioned...I think the prevailing opinion isn't so much "the 18-55 is just as good as the 35/1.4" as it is "the 35/1.4 isn't ´╗┐better enough´╗┐ than the 18-55 to merit owning both unless you need the extra f-stops."

I own both

The sharpness of the 18-55mm is impressive for a "standard" zoom, much better than my Sigma 2

8 24-70 mm macro EX on the 5D2

My copy is a good one without centering obvious defect

The 35mm is as the 60mm interesting to be able to play with DOF and it's small and unintrusive

The 18-55mm plus the body allows to have a compact package with super IQ for allround photography

I've never used a 'standard' zoom that isn't bitingly sharp. Sharpness is nothing at all for modern standard lenses. However, most 18-55 cheap zooms have: plastic mounts, rotating front elements, no manual focus grip, and max speeds of 3,5. The Fuji is simply another sharp standard zoom but with faster elements, metal construction, and slightly more ergonomic design.

Its sharpness is nothing out of the ordinary.

shigzeo's gear list:shigzeo's gear list
Leica SL (Typ 601) Fujifilm GFX 50S Leica M10 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow