7D mk2: apsc’s last stand?

Started Mar 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Clyzm Forum Member • Posts: 64
Re: 7D mk2: apsc’s last stand?

Flagship APS-C cameras have been on their way up in price anyway.

The 50D retailed for $1400, the 7D retailed for $1700, and now the 7DII will retail for around $2000-$2100.

But more to the point, APS-C has its place. The 1.6x crop factor on a sports shooter (which, let's face it, the 7D and 7DII are) is quite valuable if you don't want to buy a more expensive, and more importantly much heavier lens. The 7D is already considered to be a very viable contender, if not outright better choice when compared to the 5DIII which is over $1000 more. That coupled with the rumor that Canon's new APS-C sensor tech is supposed to have comparable noise reduction to the 5DIII sensor makes the 7DII rather tempting. That and the 7D already has sort of a legendary AF system.

The elephant in the room is obviously the 6D being the same price. I own one, and I won't hesitate to admit that the AF system (outside the center point, which is FANTASTIC in low light) is absolutely garbage. So while image quality of the 6D's FF sensor will trump the upcoming 7D even with similar noise reduction, there are other factors to consider. Burst FPS, card slots, build quality, controls (thumbstick on the 7DII), AF system. All of these features make the 7DII an enticing offer at the comparable price point.

Would I buy a 7DII for portraits or landscapes? No, of course not. The 6D is the same price.

Would I buy a 7DII for event photography? Probably, unless I had money to burn on a 5DIII

Would I buy a 7DII for sports photography? Hell yes.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow