E-M5, the IR demon.

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 33,639
Re: E-M5, the IR demon.

Jeff Tokayer wrote:

After reading Big Ga's thread on comparing IR sensitivity of various µ4/3 bodies, it struck me odd that the E-M5 would be so much more sensitive to IR than the rest. So I decided to try my E-M5 with the Hoya R72 filter attached to the 14-45 zoom. I let the Auto ISO max out at 3200. This gave me a hand holdable shutter speed of 1/13.

OOC image. Only resampled and sharpened.

After channel mixing and custom WB via eye dropper.

Much better (and easier) than my previous attempts with the E-1

Now I'm wondering if I still need to send my recently acquired G3 for a Full Spectrum conversion.

Stick with the E-M5 for the moment.  If you want a better image to work with w/o resorting to monopod or tripod, and it's more than a passing allure, you'd want a dedicated sensor (and you'll know soon enough).

Even with a converted E-PL2 at ISO 200 noise (especially blue sky) has to be dealt with, or embraced creatively in tune with masked sharpening.   Get more acquainted, see how it goes.   And for the glow, I find in LR tuning in a negative Clarity can help impart that IR characteristic.  IIRC that characteristic doesn't occur with sensors like it does with film.

I don't have any OOC exposures posted, just what I could fashion from RAW IR

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha a7R II Fujifilm X-T2 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow