YN622c TTL question

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
Hoefie Regular Member • Posts: 279
YN622c TTL question

Hello to all,

I just purchased some YN622c TTL triggers for Canon. I have a 60D and some 430EXii speedlights.

I haven't received my triggers yet, but a question came into my mind:

With a YN622c transmitter connected on top of my camera, will the camera "think" that there is a speedlight connected on its head ?

How will the camera know that the actual speedlight is not on the camera, but instead is off camera ?

I'm afraid that if the camera believes that the trigger is an actual speedlight connected on top of my camera; and therefore it will calculate the wrong exposure setting in TTL mode.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Yves from Belgium.

PS: for the ones who are wondering why I have chosen the YN622c instead of other models (eg. Phottix ODIN (was my first choice) or Pixel King, Rikon Kody TTL,...)

Phottix ODIN was my preferred choice till I read that:

- the speedlight triggered by ODIN emits a preflash, even in manual mode: so I can not use my light meter efficiently. There are some workarounds, but they are not so convenient.

- The trigger doesn't have a TTL pass through: I find it handy when I need an on top camera for fill (eg. during an event). Workaround: you can use a flashbracket, have your fill flash mounted on it with an additional receiver (extra cost and extra weight)

- Rikon Kody TTL: still too new with some bugs. Read the reviews. Even the local distributor (where I purchased the YN622c) recommended me to wait...

- Pixel King II and/or the Phottix Odin II: will probable have everything I would dream of... but is not out yet... Probably the day that they come out, and that the first major bugs will have been updated by a firmware update, I will then probably sell the YN622c.

Hoefie's gear list:Hoefie's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +7 more
Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow