5D lens questions
Hello, Tom --
I'm in much the same boat as you. I have a 30D with 28mm f/2.8 and 50mm f/1.8 primes, and am considering an upgrade to a (new) 5D MkII. Later, I would add the 85mm.
While I understand the recommendations for the 24-105, I remember your saying the weight of the Sigma f/1.4 put you off. The Canon zoom weighs 670 grams vs. the Sigma's 505 g.
Depending on which 28mm you choose*, your 28/40/85 outfit would cost just a bit more or just a bit less than the 24-105 zoom, so price-wise it's a wash. Carrying all 3 primes would weigh 815~865g, but you wouldn't always do that. When you did, two of them would be in your backpack or camera bag, not hanging around your neck.
*f/2.8 USM IS has 4 stops of Image Stabilization and weighs 50g less than the f/1.8, but costs 30% more. The f/1.8 is slightly heavier but cheaper, and offers 1.5 stops shallower DOF wide open. I would go the f/1.8.
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%