Luv my Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II lens EXCEPT for starscapes

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
t_wade Contributing Member • Posts: 973
Re: Luv my Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II lens EXCEPT for starscapes

It's pretty typical of a fast (f/2.0 or wider) lens.  Generally speaking, you will need to stop down 2 stops from wide open on most lenses to achieve nice stars in the corners.  In fact, there are no lenses that are specifically designed to handle pinpoint subjects such as stars.  Most of the faster lens designs are geared towards producing nice bokeh.  As a result, lens designers aren't focusing on how well a star looks at wide-open in the corners.

I did rent the Zeiss Distagon T* 15mm f/2.8 during the Geminid meteor shower. I was awed at how well the stars looked in the corners, even wide open.  It totally blows away the Canon 14mm f/2.8L.  Here's an example stopped down to f/3.5:

Although, it is difficult to assess the stars in the corners at this resolution, they are extremely well corrected given the wide FOV.  Unfortunately, the lens costs $3000.  I'll likely just rent it for meteor showers and special occasions.

Wade

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow