Mom's with Cameras killing your business?

Started Feb 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
PenguinPhotoCo Veteran Member • Posts: 6,284
mom to be actually

I found out yesterday why I lost about 1/2 the kids from one HS. A 2009 graduate decided to not go back to college but to start a photography biz instead.
Now the lesson here is that QUALITY DOES NOT MATTER. While her pics are not terrible, they're averagely pose and shot with daylight only. Flash? What's that? So her images have 'dead eyes' - no catchlights. Not so much raccoon eyes, but close.
Young skinny kids don't pose too badly - the hevier kids and adults? Yuk.
What got her so much biz is being known. I didn't go to school there, don't know 'everyone' like she does. Hard to compete with that. And I"m more expensive (mom's not paying my bills)
Is she a legimate competitor? We'll see. her website has no email, is this week advertising "booking 2012 weddings NOW!  Check out my fall family portrait special!" - so it's essentially a dead site. And has no phone number on it (well, on the contact page). It is filled with links to her FB page, pinterest, twitter. Her FB is also out of date.
I guess she did so well she is in the carribean for the winter?  I bet she went back to college for this semester.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me of course)

PenguinPhotoCo's gear list:PenguinPhotoCo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow